Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 2

Today I started my day with sports columnist Kevin Sherrington. Kevin gave me great advice on what it takes to become a sports writer, as well as told me several stories about some of the great experiences he has had over the years. We were able to discuss some of the recent events that have happened in sports, and how to make each of them into a story that all readers will be able to enjoy.

Next, following Kevin's advice, I went onto Dallas Morning News.com and read some of the articles that recently had been posted in all sections including sports.

Since I spent some time exploring the website, I decided to ask the internet managing editor a few questions about the how the internet news site was run and what was different about it from the paper. She taught me a lot and was another great lesson!

I then took some time to watch my mentor Chuck design a few pages. He is very good at what he does and I was very impressed. I gave him some of my opinions about the layout while trying to scribble as many notes as I could to make sure I remembered some of the key words and things that he did.

Next, I had two interviews with people that are involved in my story of a story project. I talked to Rudy Bush, the Dallas City Council cluster writer about his role in the poker house story and he gave me some advice about political journalism. I then talked to the daytime photo editor, who shared with me information about taking the photos, choosing the photos, and what rules and guidelines to remember.

I closed my day with beginning to work on my story of a story article- I will try to integrate the writing skills that I've picked up as well as include some graphics and layout that Chuck has taught me.

I'm excited for another day tomorrow and for all that I'll learn!

5 comments:

  1. Erin! Exciting stuff! I had a great time touring the office yesterday. Chuck seems like a fun and knowledgeable mentor. Looking forward to hearing more this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, I'm SO glad that you asked me about this opportunity and that you're sincerely pursuing your tasks this week. It sounds like you're being shown what it's really like to work for a daily newspaper. You're such a talented writer and intuitive communicator. Looking forward to your project presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I keep hearing that you are making the most of this experience! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to reading your story on a story

    ReplyDelete