Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 4

I started off my day like normal in the morning meeting and then working for a little bit on my story of a story project. Then Chuck told me that one of the photographers was going to come get me so I could follow him to the golf course where Tony Romo was trying to qualify for the US Open.

The photo editors sent out Gerry McCarthy to follow Romo around the 18 holes and get both video and still images that they could use in the daily newspaper and put onto the website.

When we got to the golf course it was raining and so we waited in the clubhouse, gear in tow, waiting for the to call everyone's tee times back on. While we waited, some of the golfers, including Tony Romo, were warming up at the putting green and the tee box. I followed Gerry as he took a bunch of "B roll" images both still and video and then take some shots of Romo warming up. It was cool when Gerry uploaded a few of his photos and sent them back to the office right from the clubhouse to put online, instant access!

Then it was time for Romo to tee off. Along with about 5 other reporters/photographers, we walked the course with Romo, his caddy, the golfer along with him, and a few dedicated fans (who I got to watch be interviewed up close). It was pretty hot outside and the backpack I was carrying with some of Gerry's gear and the huge lens that he asked me to carry got pretty heavy so I went back and got us the golf cart that the club had offered earlier. I carted around a bunch of gear and a few people here and there all while snapping a few photos myself.

I learned a lot today about the dedication it takes for a photojournalist, that no matter what the conditions you have to be ready to do your job. Gerry was very helpful and made sure to explain what type of shots he was taking, how to use specific lens', why he was doing something a certain way, and more. It was a great day! I had fun learning about another part of the journalism industry and watching Romo do a great job on the course. Sad tomorrow's the last day!

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dallasnews/hp/index.html?nvid=414211

No comments:

Post a Comment